September 06, 2004

put a medal on the man

Judging from the Swift Boat Liars for Bush and the speeches from the RNC, it seems the right wing only values military service when it is a) unquestioning, and b) life-threatening. Kerry clearly transgressed a) with his antiwar activities upon returning home, and the GOP is working overtime to undermine his claims to b).

Meanwhile, in Iraq, there are over a hundred thousand soldiers with good claims to b), which would explain why they are so beloved on the right. In these jingoistic times, "support the troops" means putting more of them in greater danger (and with them, of course, many more Iraqi civilians).

I find a little Phil Ochs always helps as an antidote to the warmongering high. This song's dedicated to Zell "I Wish We Lived In The Day Where You Could Challenge A Person To A Duel" Miller.
Is there anybody here who'd like to change his clothes into a uniform
Is there anybody here who thinks they're only serving in a raging storm
Is there anybody here with glory in their eyes
loyal to the end, whose duty is to die
I want to see him, I want to wish him luck
I wanna shake his hand, wanna call his name
Pin a medal on the man

Is there anybody here who'd like to wrap a flag around an early grave
Is there anybody here who thinks they're standing taller on a battle wave.
Is there anybody here like to do his part
soldier to the world and a hero to his heart
I want to see him, I want to wish him luck
I wanna shake his hand, wanna call his name
Pin a medal on the man.

Is there anybody here proud of the parade
who'd like to give a cheer and show they're not afraid
I'd like like to ask him what he's trying to defend
I'd like to ask him what he thinks he's gonna win

Is there anybody here who thinks that following orders takes away the blame
Is there anybody here who'd wouldn't mind a murder by another name
Is there anybody here whose pride is on the line
with the honor of the brave and the courage of the blind
I want to see him, I want to wish him luck
I wanna shake his hand, gonna call his name
Pin a medal on the man
Medal on the man